2020 Reading Challenge

2020 Reading Challenge
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews has read 0 books toward her goal of 150 books.
hide

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

CIRCE by Madeline Miller Review



Hello, Hello, Hi *waves*

Pull up a chair, welcome to my little slice of the bookish community.


We are here to chat about CIRCE by Madeline Miller


BLURB
"A bold and subversive retelling of the goddess's story," this #1 New York Timesbestseller is "both epic and intimate in its scope, recasting the most infamous female figure from the Odyssey as a hero in her own right" (Alexandra Alter, The New York Times).

In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child--not powerful, like her father, nor viciously alluring like her mother. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power--the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves.

Threatened, Zeus banishes her to a deserted island, where she hones her occult craft, tames wild beasts and crosses paths with many of the most famous figures in all of mythology, including the Minotaur, Daedalus and his doomed son Icarus, the murderous Medea, and, of course, wily Odysseus.

But there is danger, too, for a woman who stands alone, and Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the Olympians. To protect what she loves most, Circe must summon all her strength and choose, once and for all, whether she belongs with the gods she is born from, or the mortals she has come to love.

With unforgettably vivid characters, mesmerizing language and page-turning suspense, Circe is a triumph of storytelling, an intoxicating epic of family rivalry, palace intrigue, love and loss, as well as a celebration of indomitable female strength in a man's world.




My Thoughts.

HOLY SMOKES!

What was that, I am speechless. I listened to this brilliant story in audio. I highly recommend. This was the story about Circe, daughter of Helios, a Titian God.

I am a massive Mythology geek, I have numerous books and have read and re read them all for years and years. I did not no of Circe, and she was a gifted witch that I did not know I wanted to know about.

This story is the birth of Circe and her life, and i am assuming the beginning of her death *insert eye roll* she was a lonely Goddess banished to her deserted island Aiaia.

We meet many of gods, and goddesses, from Helios, Athena, Prometheus, her brother Aeetes, Glaucus and Daedalus, Odysseus. Hermes, Telemachus and her son Telegonus.
and so many more.

I haven't read the story about Circe, so this was all so new to me. Circe should not have been alone and I felt sorry for her.

Circe was so strong, and I wanted so much more for her. She was so powerful, she should have taken down whom put her on that island.

This book had many romantic scenes, but its not graphic nor is it smut. Just love.

I loved the way the author weaved her story, but at the same time was annoyed with situations as well.

Most of the time I was completely captivated, and I liked the brand new story the author has created. She created something very unique. The Odyssey is one story I want to read now that I have read this one. Its also free on amazon.

Circe is a very character driven story,  and very lyrical and I think for some it will either be a hit or miss.

All Circe wanted was to be accepted and loved, she was a lesser nymph and we go on this journey watching her become this big powerful witch, her strength is amazing and courage. Her compassion was honourable. She suffers heartache, motherhood, desire and we get a real story about one kick ass goddess.

Listen to the audiobook, that is how I found myself reading this one.

TW: Rape & Violence.

That ending though, Oh man, what a ending. I was swept away in a lovely romance, a deserving romance that felt just as that. I felt all the emotions and It made me so very happy to see Circe what she deserved.

I really enjoyed this story, I was hesitant at times and I wasn't to sure what was going to happen next, but I am so so glad I made it to the end, a beautiful ending at that.

Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment