2020 Reading Challenge

2020 Reading Challenge
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews has read 0 books toward her goal of 150 books.
hide

Sunday, March 24, 2019

In The Barren Ground by Loreth Anne White Review




A Daphne du Maurier Award Winner.
In the Barrens, a vast wilderness in northern Canada bordering the Arctic Circle, night consumes every hour of the winter. Humans are scarce; ferocious predators roam freely. Locals say spirits do, too.
Rookie cop Tana Larsson doesn’t mind the dark and quiet. Five months pregnant and hoping to escape the mistakes of her past, she takes a post in Twin Rivers, population 320. Maybe here she can find peace and community for her child.
But with her superior out of commission, Tana becomes the sole police officer in 17,500 square miles. One bitter night, she gets a call about the fatal wolf mauling of two students, and the only way to reach the remote scene is to enlist the help of the arrogant, irritatingly handsome Cameron “Crash” O’Halloran, a local bush pilot with a shady reputation for smuggling and a past cloaked in shadow.
When the macabre scene they uncover suggests violence much more sinister than animal, Tana must trust Crash if she wants to protect the town—and herself—from the evil that lurks in the frozen dark.


MY REVIEW
I am quickly becoming a massive fan of Loreth Anne White, I was really unsure when i started listening to this one, because it was way out of my normal read. This story has really gruesome, creepy and I was constantly jumping at the small things. I am so happy I took a chance a listened to this story, I believe it is a hard one to get through, the author really knows how to describe the killings.

A police rookie cop, Tana Larsson, 5 months pregnant and has been assigned to Twin Rivers, a very small town in Northern Canada. I don't know what it is with me reading books recently based in Canada, they have been all very good and so damn creepy.

Tana gets a call out to a horrible crime, but to get there she needs help. Crash is familiar to the area, and hes a pilot. This investigation she beings take so many twist and turns I did not see any of it coming. This really is not for the faint- hearted, it is very dark, disturbing and brutal. I found myself so invested and transported into this weird bizarre town.

I love the way Loreth can weave together her stories, they always have real and believable characters that you enjoy to read about, characters who you start caring for. This story has so much going for it, I missed the romance though, there was some but not enough. but even then it was little bread crumbs. There is no sex, not even kissing. I enjoyed trying to figure out the crime she has discovered, and along with her, we come across so many surprising revels.

"In the barrens of the soul, monsters take tol, they come with hunger and ice in their heart."

Ang






No comments:

Post a Comment