2020 Reading Challenge

2020 Reading Challenge
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews has read 0 books toward her goal of 150 books.
hide

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

AMERICAN DREAMER by ADRIANA HERRERA Review




Hello, Hi *Waves*

Welcome to my little slice of the bookish community 
-
-
Today we are here to talk about the Debut Novel by the Debut Author

AMERICAN DREAMER by ADRIANA HERRERA


2 Stars let’s get that out of the way. It is hard for me to even begin to type this review, I have known this author for more than a decade now, but realistically we haven't talk to one another in at least 5 years.

 I didn't even know that this was in the works, so are we even mates? I know that sounds harsh, but I adore this person but, we don't chat daily.

 We don't hang out. I am a friend kind of from the past, you know when good reads were amazing and where you would make friends and chat over books and so on, but we have real life and stuff happens where you just loose in contact with one another.

 Or that you end up finding time for the friends that want to chat daily, whatever, this has gone nowhere but somewhere, this isn't important to you, but I wanted to start somewhere and here I am.

I find it hard to write reviews on a daily, but I struggle the most when you KNOW that author on a friendly friend base. Or in my case in one time in my life.

 I am so happy for Adriana, so proud that she has discovered the love for writing, and to be writing LGBT mm romance.

 Heck yes! 

If you have been following me for some time now, you know I've been reading the genre for years now and over the most recent years I haven't really been reading anything WOW that was insanely good, or if I have been it has been from an older author I have loved in the past and I am reading there work again, you know how it goes.

 Anyway, I promise we are going to get to my review, I did kind of liked this book. I just did not love it!

So, my friends who have stuck it this far to actually read my review here we go!


I really am that person who likes the stuff you might not like and dislike the things you do.

REVIEW STARTS HERE!



Debut novel by a debut author.

I think I wanted to love this story so much more than what I did.

 I really did love the characters, and that's what drove me to finish the story.

I loved that this was very culture based, and amazing DR rep, but for someone who knows nothing of this culture and language I found it extremely hard to follow along, and to understand the way it was written.

 I found it to be very wordy, and because I didn't know any Latin it is written in, & the assumption you would know how to follow along. I obviously struggled.

 The plot and story of the two men falling in love was beautiful, the friendships are wonderful and I found myself really enjoying that part of the story.

 All the food spoken about and created all sounded delicious,& I found myself hungry a lot of the times.

To Be Honest though, no sugar coating this.
 I felt dumb reading this book. At some points.Not all the time but mainly because I was confused.

 That is because I felt lost, or because I didn't understand the language that was being forced upon me to understand. Maybe I am dumb? *shrugs* Maybe it is because I live in a different part of the world and our culture learning is different to American schools.Where here I learnt different languages in our schools.

 I didn't further my knowledge after school finished for me. I became a Mum, and a blogger,and a small business owner.

I just didn't enjoy my time as much as I wanted too. and that broke my heart. But I really must be in the minority of people who didn't enjoy her or his time.

Because the reviews I have seen have been different to mine.

There are some time jumps, some unnecessary angst/drama towards the end with miscommunication with Nesto and Jude.

 Sometimes I had to flick back to see who's POV I was reading in, because I found that the characters voices were very similar and not separate enough for me to tell who was who.

This my own thoughts as this is an arc review. Please remember that, I really do not want to be stoned!

  I adored all the side characters and will look forward to reading about them at some point.

There was ONE uncomfortable moment!

 Yes! I know, I know. Ang uncomfortable? It does happen.

 It was one part when they were having intercourse.

I'm not going to tell you what, where and why I just personally for a gal who reads A LOT of smut was slightly turned off.

2.5 stars. (an extra half a star for the cover)

I really wish this author all the best in her endeavours.






Blurb from AMAZON

No one ever said big dreams come easy


For Nesto Vasquez, moving his Afro-Caribbean food truck from New York City to the wilds of Upstate New York is a huge gamble. If it works? He’ll be a big fish in a little pond. If it doesn’t? He’ll have to give up the hustle and return to the day job he hates. He’s got six months to make it happen—the last thing he needs is a distraction.




Jude Fuller is proud of the life he’s built on the banks of Cayuga Lake. He has a job he loves and good friends. It’s safe. It’s quiet. And it’s damn lonely. Until he tries Ithaca’s most-talked-about new lunch spot and works up the courage to flirt with the handsome owner. Soon he can’t get enough—of Nesto’s food or of Nesto. For the first time in his life, Jude can finally taste the kind of happiness that’s always been just out of reach.




An opportunity too good to pass up could mean a way to stay together and an incredible future for them both…if Nesto can remember happiness isn’t always measured by business success. And if Jude can overcome his past and trust his man will never let him down.




One-click with confidence. This title is part of the Carina Press Romance Promise: all the romance you’re looking for with an HEA/HFN. It’s a promise!




This book is approximately 94,000 words



No comments:

Post a Comment