2020 Reading Challenge

2020 Reading Challenge
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews has read 0 books toward her goal of 150 books.
hide

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong (audio)




Hi!! *waving*!! 

City of the Lost by Kelley Armstrong Review



Casey Duncan is a homicide detective with a secret: when she was in college, she killed a man. She was never caught, but he was the grandson of a mobster and she knows that someday this crime will catch up to her. Casey's best friend, Diana, is on the run from a violent, abusive ex-husband. When Diana's husband finds her, and Casey herself is attacked shortly after, Casey knows it's time for the two of them to disappear again.
Diana has heard of a town made for people like her, a town that takes in people on the run who want to shed their old lives. You must apply to live in Rockton and if you're accepted, it means walking away entirely from your old life, and living off the grid in the wilds of Canada: no cell phones, no Internet, no mail, no computers, very little electricity, and no way of getting in or out without the town council's approval. As a murderer, Casey isn't a good candidate, but she has something they want: She's a homicide detective, and Rockton has just had its first real murder. She and Diana are in. However, soon after arriving, Casey realizes that the identity of a murderer isn't the only secret Rockton is hiding—in fact, she starts to wonder if she and Diana might be in even more danger in Rockton than they were in their old lives.
An edgy, gripping crime novel from bestselling urban fantasy writer Kelley Armstrong, City of the Lost boldly announces a major new player in the crime fiction world.




WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!


Casey Duncan a homicide detective with a massive  secret ! She really did kill a man, but its not what you think. She was never caught, but her past finds her. Her best friend Diana, who I HATE, she is a bitch, its all about her self, anyways she had an abusive husband that cant stay away from her even though they are not longer together, catches up with her. One night Casey and her some times hook up bartender get attacked and on the same night Diana gets attacked by her crazy ex husband, they have both had enough, and apply to move to this town called Rockton, where people go to disappear go of the grid. NO Phones, NO Internet, NO Mail,  NO anything! You MUST apply to live in this town, if you are accepted you must really leave everything behind you and start over in the wild somewhere located in Canada.

As soon as Casey arrives she knows shes here for a different reason than going of the grid, because she is a detective, a very good one and the town needs someone to solve the murder that has happened, she is only aloud to be here for 6 months. I hope she gets to stay put. I listened to this in audio, I really liked the voices of all the characters. It would have been awesome if it was a full cast. But even with the one chick narrative its enjoyable.

Diana, was aloud to arrive earlier then Casey, and while they were apart Diana got really into partying and drinking, and sleeping around. She is legit a bitch and really jealous of Casey. 

In the beginning I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this novel, but as time went by I was so invested in everything and everyone.All the characters are unique, quirky and the politics had me really interested. I really enjoy Kelley's writing, and this was such a great story, nothing like I have read before by the author.

Rockton is ONE crazy town! I really enjoyed being submerged in the who, why and when of everything, I was really drawn into this story. I loved going along with Casey trying to figure out who the killer was, the town is filled with ex convicts lol So it literally could be anyone! 

I was hoping for more of a romance, but you knew what was going to happen, a nice enjoyable SLOW burn romance, between Casey and the towns Sheriff Eric Dalton, who has been born and raised in Rockton.

I found it so funny at times, I was laughing out loud and gasping along with the unfolding's.

Will is attracted to Casey, and Casey is .. NOT!  That's another reason why Diana is such a bitch, she likes Will. Don't worry there isn't love triangle or anything like that.

 I love how the author makes you have a sense of the wilderness, the isolation of the town. The interaction between Casey and Eric is really enjoyable, He doesn't get a lot of pop culture references and the friendship they begin to have while solving this murder case. At some points I was yelling out, OMG he such a Ass-hole, or goodness hes a douche! To be honest, most the time he really was!

Some of the discoveries were slightly gruesome, and I was like Eww no way a lot of the times.
I would really recommend this if you like a mystery murder with a lot of twists and turns, lovable characters even though they are strange. and GORE... with a dash of romance!

We had a WHAT THE FUDGE moment when they go into the burning shed, and they find Diana, I was shook, Mick was found dead. And then Diana ... I am speechless. I was on the edge of my seat, like shit, what was that. When writing this review I literally only had 4 hours left on audio.

 So many twist and turns, Its such a fantastic book. At this stage we have 5 people dead and NO clue who the creeper is!

Wait!!!

 and WHAT we thought of Diana, with her trouble with her abusive ex was all a fudging LIE!

Holy, Christ guys.

These turns of events was insanely good, legit right out the left field of twists. And that she hired some one to hurt Casey! 

The LAST 2-3 hours were intense, I really was on the pace and edge of the chair.

 When Eric and Casey finally kiss, against the tree (y'all know i like me some up against the wall, tree, building sexy times) I was so damn excited. But then it stopped, and then JACOB happened! 

JESUS I am just speechless. Is he crazy? 
Because there are hostels, and savages living in the wild. This little town called Rockton was is not what you think it is. Its so strange to know people live in the forest.

It was like watching a tennis match, but when we find out what actually happened to Eric when he was younger! I did not see that happening!

Again,  what an awesome story you guys need to check this one out. I am so happy that the romance in this one was so good, I loved it all. Overall the writing was fantastic and the story flowed so well and I can not wait for more.

There is so much more I want to say, like for example Will our sexy AF deputy,  he was actual put there in the town to spy on Dalton! 
WTF!!!  That was a moment.

Seriously the last 1 hour of this was so intense, the chemistry between the two was so flipping hot. When they finally, finally get to the good stuff, it was good fade to black sex lol  They are literally too cute together. Still Eric is douche sometimes, but he means well.

IT WAS BLEEP ! 
OMG I can not even, I was speechless!


Go and give this book a read.

5/5 Stars.












No comments:

Post a Comment