2020 Reading Challenge

2020 Reading Challenge
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews has read 0 books toward her goal of 150 books.
hide

Sunday, April 21, 2019

The Dark Bones by Loreth Anne White Review





Hello, Hello, How are you?
Welcome to my little slice of the bookish community.

We are here to talk about The Dark Bones by Loreth Anne White 


BLURB
She’s come back to solve the mystery of her father’s death and confront her own dark past.
When Detective Rebecca North left her rural hometown, she vowed never to return. Her father’s apparent suicide has changed that. The official report is that retired cop Noah North shot himself, knocked over a lantern, and set his isolated cabin ablaze. But Rebecca cannot believe he killed himself.
To prove it, she needs the help of Ash Haugen, the man she left behind. But Rebecca and Ash share more than broken hearts. Something darker lies between them, and the investigation is stirring it back to life. Clues lead them to the home of Olivia West and her deeply troubled twelve-year-old daughter, Tori. The child knows more about the murder than anyone can imagine, but she’s too terrified to say a word.
And as a cold-blooded killer resurfaces from the past, Rebecca and Ash begin to fear that their own secrets may be even harder to survive.

MY REVIEW

"Can you pinpoint the exact instant your life starts on a collision course with someone else's? Can you trace back to the moment those lives did finally intersect, and from where they spiralled outward again, yet from that point they remained forever entwined, two lives locked one with another?" (The Dark Bones)


I will try and NOT to include any spoilers so I apologise for the vague review, or if any spoilers.This book was amazing and I’m so grateful I was able to read an advance copy.

 I loved twist and turns this novel took us on, I enjoyed the pace. At times i found it to be a little wordy, and in the beginning I was so sure I was going to enjoy it as much as the first one, I loved that one. I think to, because I listened to the audio. I found myself starting this one and not being able to put it down, way into the dark night I was so scared to move lol I just wanted to know what happened all them years ago.

Really good Mystery Suspense novel, not a lot of romance which kind of made me twitchy. But I overall thought it was a great read.T he Dark Bones is the second book in the Dark Lure series. The main character is Rebecca North. She's a Royal Canadian Mounted Police detective who moved out of her rural hometown of Clinton, Canada as soon as she could after her boyfriend Ash Haugen broke her heart.

Two teens disappear 20 years ago and the mystery was never solved until now! A retired cop comes across new evidence who is the main characters father, and is killed because of it so his daughter Rebecca comes home and starts putting all of the clues together. While solving this crime, you could not pick who done it, at one point I thought for sure I knew who the killers were but nope it changed so very much right till the last chapter when we find out.

The author jumps from the present to the past and back again to set up the relationships between Ash, Becca, Whitney & Trevor. One thing though, the past holds the key to actual crimes committed. The book is emotional, and could be triggering to some it involves physical abuse, inappropriate behaviour, murder, deep & dark secrets, brief mention of rape and a second chance to romance.

You can read this as a standalone, even with it being book two in the series. Yes it has Tori from the previous book but nothing major spoilery unless you want to read book one which I high recommended because that story was UN freaking believable, it was a smidgen better then this one, but I highly recommend both. this was a solid 4 stars, maybe 4.75. Only because I really wanted a little more romance with the characters, what we got wasn't enough to satisfy me.

I can not wait to see if the author will return to this series, and small town. and if and when she does ill be returning as well, I really liked this story.

Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment